Re: [Nautilus-list] Fam, telnet, nautilus - the mysterious connection

On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 05:27, Eric Wood wrote:
> Heck, I don't know which list to post this to..... I'll start here.
(and
> I'm probably to 50th person to report this).
>
> 1. xinetd has a sgi_fam service (an rpc service) located in the
> /etc/xinetd.d/sgi_fam.
> 2. 'rpcinfo -p' command shows it ready to accept connection because
xinetd
> is running
> 3. startx.   nautilus makes a fam connection.
> 4. 'ps -ef' proves that a fam process is running.
> 5. touch or create a file from a gnome-terminal and magically see is
appear
> in the nautilus window.  great!
>
> 6. "chkconfig telnet off" causes xinetd to reload everything.
> 7. the fam process dies
> 8. nautilus is left without a fam connection and with doesn't revery
> polling the filesystem.
>
> 9. But, 'rpcinfo -p' still showss sgi_fam ready to accept a new
> connections......
>
> So, possible solutions are:
>
> a. make xinetd not affect other services. Why it does in the first
place - I
> don't know.
> b. put a "server_args = -T 0" in the /etc/xinetd.d/sgi_fam.  This
doesn't
> work - I tried.
> c. make nautilus detect fam has died and try to reconnect for some
period of
> time.
>

> Any ideas or temporary solutions?
>
> -eric wood

On a side note, is it necessary for fam to be rpc-based, or is
that just because that's how SGI did it and we happen to have
the code? I'm really not very happy with opening unnecessary
TCP/IP ports, and RPC makes me particularly nervous. (And yes,
I know I could configure my firewall to block port 111. But I
don't think I should have to. It's rather annoying that to
install Nautilus I have to install portmap.)