Re: [Nautilus-list] Fam, telnet, nautilus - the mysterious connection

On 4 Apr 2002, David Moles wrote:

> On a side note, is it necessary for fam to be rpc-based, or is
> that just because that's how SGI did it and we happen to have
> the code? I'm really not very happy with opening unnecessary
> TCP/IP ports, and RPC makes me particularly nervous. (And yes,
> I know I could configure my firewall to block port 111. But I
> don't think I should have to. It's rather annoying that to
> install Nautilus I have to install portmap.)

It's the way SGI did fam. It could certainly have been done differently.
In the fam we ship in Red Hat i bind fam to 127.0.0.1 only, so it's not a
security issue (except portmap).

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a world-famous zombie photographer who must take medication to keep him
sane. She's a scantily clad foul-mouthed former first lady with the power to
bend men's minds. They fight crime!