Re: [Nautilus-list] Scripts, their usability and the Gnome terminal script

Your points are all good ones, and I should point out that the Scripts
feature in Nautilus was never intended to be a substitute for building in
appropriate features in the appropriate places in the user interface. (I
know what I'm talking about here, since I came up with the idea for the
Scripts feature, and implemented it.) The Scripts feature was intended to be
a hook for user customizability, so that individual users could add fairly
lightweight functionality to Nautilus fairly easily.

If some feature is compelling and widely-used enough, it should be built
into Nautilus, not provided as a script; that way it can be put into the
appropriate place(s) in the user interface, appear only when relevant,
provide better feedback, etc. This is the essential dilemma of shipping
Nautilus with or without scripts. If a script is important enough to include
with every copy of Nautilus, then it would be better off built in somewhere.
But if (as is currently the case) Nautilus comes with no scripts, then the
scripting feature is a little harder to understand. That's why I created the
little explanatory message when you select "Show Scripts" (I might be
remembering the menu item name wrong -- I don't have a copy of Nautilus
handy.) I'm not sure this tradeoff is right -- it might be better overall to
include a few simple scripts as examples to get the user thinking about what
else they could do with the Scripts feature. But I think it would definitely
be a mistake to ship Nautilus with a large number of scripts.

Also, I am told that in the latest Nautilus (1.05) somebody added a feature
such that scripts can be organized arbitrarily in subfolders of the Scripts
folder, which appear as submenus. That should take care of your point (3)
below.

John

on 10/23/01 11:54 AM, S A Jarrett-Sprague at sjarrettsprague waitrose com