Re: [Nautilus-list] remembering different properties in different directories?

on 10/16/01 2:41 PM, Thomas Cataldo at thomas cataldo laposte net wrote:

> On Tue, 2001-10-16 at 20:56, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>>
>> Ryan Muldoon <rpmuldoon students wisc edu> writes:
>>> 3. Does the geometry/position stuff have to coordinate with sawfish
>>> somehow?
>>
>> IMO it is correct for window managers to ignore application attempts
>> to set position in the general case, and also ignore attempts to
>> resize after mapping the window (though most WM's don't currently do
>> so).
>
> Well, think of the splashscreen case. It's pretty disturbing to see the
> splash of an application appear in the corner of your screen.
>
> I think the wm should apply its placing policy unless explicitly stated
> by the application.

This doesn't seem to be a very strong argument for window manager control.
Putting a splash screen at a hardwired location is simply bad. Centering it
on the screen is always better. The application should be able to center the
splash screen. Why does the window manager need to get involved?

John