Re: [Nautilus-list] Change committed that may affect the slowness

On 13Oct2001 12:02AM (-0700), Seth Nickell wrote:
> On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 21:33, Darin Adler wrote:
> > If you hare one of the people who experienced slower performance with
> > nautilus HEAD than with 1.0.4, please give it a try again with the change I
> > just committed ("Change hysteresis value") and report the results to me.
> >

> OK, hard numbers with this change..
>
> Full startup time:
>
> old CVS: 46 seconds
> CVS: 32 seconds
> 1.0.4 (for reference, haven't retimed): 24 seconds
>
> "Music folder" double click from desktop until done loading:
>
> old CVS: 20 seconds
> CVS: 13 seconds
> 1.0.4: 11 seconds
>
> So the patch did improve things. Here's the bizarre phenomenuum I'm
> seeing, in both initial startup (on the desktop & in the window) and
> opening the Music folder:
>
> A number (5-15) icons display initially really really quickly. No
> particular rhyme or reason to the ones that display quickly (e.g. some
> normal files, some folders, some with custom icons, etc) that I can
> find. The throbber stops a few seconds later (and I don't think I'm
> seeing any more disk accesses). Then the whole UI freezes for several
> seconds (more on desktop startup than on opening the music folder)...and
> all of the sudden all of the other icons appear (with sub-directory
> counts already completed, I think) and its done loading and totally
> responsive.

Try running it under the debugger and hit Control-C while the UI is
frozen. Then see if you can figure out what it's blocking on from the
backtraces of the various threads (I recommend `cont' as a way to
switch threads (it will keep stopping until you cycle through all the
threads) rather than the actual gdb way to do it, the latter is
somewhat unreliable.

 - Maciej