Re: [Nautilus-list] Change committed that may affect the slowness

> Try running it under the debugger and hit Control-C while the UI is
> frozen. Then see if you can figure out what it's blocking on from the
> backtraces of the various threads (I recommend `cont' as a way to
> switch threads (it will keep stopping until you cycle through all the
> threads) rather than the actual gdb way to do it, the latter is
> somewhat unreliable.

yeah, I was looking at this last night but its not telling me anything.

There are 11 threads, 8 of which are inactive threads waiting in the
GnomeVFS thread pool, one of which is the pthread manager, one of which
is the nautilus main loop. The only interesting thing I see is one
thread performing the directory count. The Nautilus main loop seems to
behaving as per normal.

I was totally wrong about the UI freezing though. The UI continues to be
responsive even during the long pause where the throbber has stopped but
the elements have yet to display. I can even click on the several icons
that displayed before the "pause" and drag them around.

The only thing that occurs to me is that Nautilus could be waiting to
display until the directory counts are finished (?). I have yet to see
directory counts bubble in after display like I used to, but that could
be coincidental (e.g. something is freezing and the extra time means the
directory counts always finish).

-Seth