Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus usability suggestions.

On 8 Oct 2001, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:

> On Mon, 2001-10-08 at 14:34, Erik Nordström wrote:
>
>     * The right click desktop menu needs to be cleaned up and
>       restructured. Why not put some nice icons in there?
>       All the "New <item>" options should be on a submenu i.e:
>
>     New-> Window
>           Folder
>           Terminal
>
> I dont think they should be in a submenu, unless there are a lot of
> them. Submenus always make it hard to select items, I think the current
> 3 things grouped together dont need a submenu. It becomes an issue only
> if the context menu starts to get too tall.
>
>     Also missing is "New launcher" to create your own application
>     launchers on the desktop as you can on the gnome panel. This submenu
>     could also be filled in with "New text document" and so on, without
>     cluttering the main right-click menu.
>
> I think this is a known issue, though I agree, it needs to be added.

I see your point about submenus making things hard to select. But adding
the "New launcher" makes it four "New.."-type options and its starting to
get cluttered. Also my suggestion was about adding more stuff there, like
"New text document", "New mail" and so on...

> Also, I would like to have "New Terminal" on the File-menu of a Nautilus
> window. It would be useful to hit a shortcut key to get a terminal with
> the working directory in the directory what Nautilus was showing in the
> window. (did that make sense? Open "My Documents", press a keyboard
> shortcut and you get a gnome-terminal with "My Documents" as the working
> directory.

Isn't there a terminal component in the works that will enable this type
of operation. Or is this a "non-official" nautilus project?

/Erik Nordström