[Nautilus-list] Defaulting to View as Icons for WebDAV pages

on 11/10/01 4:03 AM, Tuomas Kuosmanen at tigert ximian com wrote:

> [* Use *View as Icons*, that url is NOT a web page but WebDAV, a
> filesystem-on-top-of-http. Pretty cool. I think we should default to
> icon view for those, right? They are confusing since you just get a "dir
> listing denied" if you browse with the web component since there does
> not need to be an index.html on the dir..]

In versions of Nautilus before 1.0, we had a default to icon view for any
pages that are WebDAV. But we discovered many web sites out there that also
have WebDAV, which is what forced us to change the default (and add a new
MIME type as a hack so the Eazel service would show up as a directory).

If you know some way to tell the "directory listing denied" cases from the
real web pages that also happen to have WebDAV access, then we can
incorporate that in gnome-vfs or nautilus. Or maybe we can cue off that
"directory listing denied" text.

Off hand, I don't have the list of real web pages that are WebDAV, but one
of the other former Eazel folks might remember. One was something huge like
www.yahoo.com or something like that.

    -- Darin