From: Ian McKellar yakk-nautilus yakk net au
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:01:14 +0800
To: rpmuldoon students wisc edu, bart decrem com, nickrud citlink net, nautilus-list lists eazel com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [Nautilus-list] icon set cover image suggestion

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 01:43:20PM -0400, rpmuldoon students wisc edu wrote:
> It's cool that most of what I want is already there. ;-)
>
> I kind of like the idea of Nautilus just doing the Right Thing if I drag a song to my music folder.....One of my (perhaps wrongheaded) thoughts on general UI stuff is that the user doesn't (or, at least, shouldn't have to) care how something is implemented....so if I can listen to a song on my cd, and I want to have it on my hard drive too, I should just drag it over.  Kind of thinking in terms of functionality instead of applications.  Of course, this could be an HCI horror, and I am just too ignorant to realize why. ;-)  It just seems like a nice bit of integration/seamlessness.

Well, I don't think simply dragging a file to a regular folder should trigger
an encode. What if I want to rip raw WAV file off a CD for sampling or
something. One crazy idea I had was to be able to associate a script with
a folder so that whenever you drag a file into the folder, instead of
actually copying it, the script is called.

So for example, dragging files from cdda:// to file://home/yakk/music/
could in fact run:
  /home/yakk/music/.nautilus-script "cdda://My Track.wav" "cdda://My Other Track.wav"
This script could trigger the actual rip/encode.

Another thing this could be useful for is to automatically trigger an rsync
when you drop a file into a folder that represents what you want on your
web site.

Anyway, I don't have time to implement it but i think it would be cool.

Ian

http://www.mail2web.com/ .