[Nautilus-list] name and location of Scripts folder (was Re: skript folder translation)

On Monday, May 28, 2001, at 05:56  AM, Mattias Eriksson wrote:

I installed nautilus, then logged in with a swedish translation and find
that all the scripts are gone. The problem was that the folder name is
translated, so instead of looking in the Nautilus/scripts it is looking
for the folder Nautilus/skripts which doesn't exist.

Don't translate paths, nothing good can come out of it.

OK. Sounds like a mistake.

But I do want to quickly check with others on the list. Is there a consensus that directory names should never be translated, even user-visible ones?

Aother thing about the script folder, why is it in the Nautilus folder?

Partly a mistake, partly intentional. Putting the Scripts folder inside the default home for beginners was definitely a mistake. And naming the default home for beginners "Nautilus" was also a mistake, for that matter.

On the other hand, I think John Sullivan wanted to put it somewhere visible rather than inside an invisible folder. I think that's how he ended up mistakenly putting it inside the Nautilus folder.

I suggest you move the scripts folder to ~/.nautilus instead of
~/Nautilus that way I can delete the Nautilus folder and be a happier
person.

Sounds like it would be an improvement. I'd also like to hear what John thinks.

By the way, a patch to fix these two minor problems would be welcome, if someone is interested in helping with it.

    -- Darin