Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

Hi!

> > I talked with people on #interface last week and we thought it might be
> > good to have some "GNOME Filesystem Standard" for $HOME:
> >
> > 	  $HOME
> > 	     `---- Desktop/  <- grumble, but you know me :)
> > 	     `---- Documents/
> > 		      `---- Images/
> > 		      `---- Videos/
> > 		      `---- Music/
> > 		      `---- Downloads/
> > 	     `---- Programs/
> > 		      `---- Evolution/
> > 		      `---- Nautilus/
>
> I agree completely, love the idea, fully, and totally.
>
> But here is a problem for you:
>
> 	How do you make that work in other languages other than
> 	English?
>
> Possible solutions:
>
> 	1. Create the directories with their english names, show them
>            with english names on the file system view, but on the
>            `shortcuts' on file save/open dialogs use the translated
>            versions.
>
> 	2. Put everything in a well known location ~/GNOME, or
>            ~/HOST or something, and make symlinks from ~/Programas
>            into ~/HOST/Programs.  Create as many symlinks on the home
>            directory as the user logs in as.  Create "virtual" directories for
>            them (from Nautilus perspective, and show those on the
>            standard dialogs).
>
> 	3. Ignore the problem, force everyone into using english
>
> 	4. Use `Unix' names for the various elements, and have "user
> 	   names" which are shown into a few applications (file
> 	   dialogs, file manager virtual directories).
>
> 	   ~/docs       Shown as _("Documents")
> 	   ~/bin        Shown as _("Programs")
> 	   ~/packages   Shown as _("Software")
> 	   ~/desktop    Shown as _("Desktop")

Option "4" sucks less. I really do not want to type rm -f ~/Programs/*
to free my disk space ;-), rm -f ~/bin/* is more friendly to my
fingers.

								Pavel
--
I'm pavel ucw cz  "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at discuss linmodems org