[Nautilus-list] Re: GNOME user environment brainstorming

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Glynn Foster <glynn foster ireland sun com> writes:
> >
> > Is there any way that we can draw up a list of fixed requirements for apps to
> > be included in 2.0 [I know this was discussed at length in GUADEC] but I think
> > this is another important issue....a) adoption of gconf b) provide locking
> > down mechanisms
> >

> My thought is that the style guide is the place for this kind of
> thing.

Hmm, up to a point, but (quite legitimately) no app is ever going to
follow every guideline in the book, and I defy anyone to come up with a
rule that says "you're only a GNOME app if you meet n% of the applicable
guidelines", let alone try and enforce it  :o)  GIMP would likely be out
on it's neck before we even started, and we'd never have had seminal
apps like Bryce or Poser on Windows or Macintosh if they'd been forced
to follow any healthy percentage of their respective platforms'
guidelines.

(What's the status of the guidelines project BTW, Joakim, did you ever
send round that call for volunteers?  I haven't been following things as
closely as I ought to for the past couple of weeks...)

Cheeri,
Calum.