Re: [Nautilus-list] Top 21 Nautilus Feature Requests

On 27 Mar 2001 23:21:47 -0800, Bart Decrem wrote:
> 2.  Ability to more easily move files around (using either
> cut/copy/paste or shelf idea)

It's really sad to see the Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V being implemented. It's a
horrible model as you are aware. I do agree that drag n drop isn't the
easiest in Nautilus right now though. The tree view is small and
slightly difficult to navigate at times. I don't really want to make it
larger either though, just because it would take up so much screen real
estate then. What I *really* like is the Copy and Move buttons which
Win2k has. Maybe one that defaults to home, has tab support like the
standard GTK+ dialogs though. I don't like the style of dialog box that
Win2k pops up.

> 3.  View .tar, .rpm packages

Definitely! My LUG hosted an Installfest / Demo Day this last weekend
and I wanted to show people so bad that you can install Linux software
by clicking a package, then clicking the install button. I was hoping
that a 1.0.1 would have been out by then with this feature :0( Also, we
really need the tarball support to match the easy of use of apps like
WinZip.

> 5.  Integrated shell features

That would rule ;0)

> 6.  Better browser functionality (inc. Download functionality, Mozilla
> related problems etc.)

I'd rather have something like Gnome Transfer Manger (used in Galeon)
for this.

> 15.  Stability

Maybe others are having better luck than me, but I'd put this at the top
of the list. I can easily crash Nautilus every time by accidentally
double clicking a desktop icon when in "single click mode". Changing
themes is also a frequent crasher. And I barely use it yet (more of a
CLI person myself)

> 17.  Automount floppies

Isn't this more of a autofs, amd feature rather than Nautilus?

My thoughts...thanks for reading.

--

Steve Fox
http://k-lug.com