Re: [Nautilus-list] Top 21 Nautilus Feature Requests

Steve Fox wrote:

On 27 Mar 2001 23:21:47 -0800, Bart Decrem wrote:

2.  Ability to more easily move files around (using either
cut/copy/paste or shelf idea)

It's really sad to see the Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V being implemented. It's a
horrible model as you are aware. I do agree that drag n drop isn't the
easiest in Nautilus right now though. The tree view is small and
slightly difficult to navigate at times. I don't really want to make it
larger either though, just because it would take up so much screen real
estate then. What I *really* like is the Copy and Move buttons which
Win2k has. Maybe one that defaults to home, has tab support like the
standard GTK+ dialogs though. I don't like the style of dialog box that
Win2k pops up.

Win2k/WinMe's move to and copy to thingys are a good idea badly implemented. Add command-line tab completion as most shells have and it'd be much better, especially if you also implemented a shelf for those cut and paste-type jobs - and yes, even if it could be operated through ctrl-X, ctrl-C and ctrl-V. As long as autopopup of the shelf worked correctly of course... I'm assuming this would be an additional sidebar tab.

5.  Integrated shell features

That would rule ;0)

Oh yes, especially since the shell in Konqueror doesn't work as I expected it to - a shell prompt that's tied to the graphical view - so that if you cd in the shell prompt you also cd in the graphical view, etc, would for me be the perfect solution as I am a real command-line freak but I don't like the way ls shows me directory listings. Of course, there should also be a way to have shell and graphical view seperate from each other, so they aren't bound together... a small toggle button could accomplish this I'm sure. Or a menu or something.

6.  Better browser functionality (inc. Download functionality, Mozilla
related problems etc.)

I'd rather have something like Gnome Transfer Manger (used in Galeon)
for this.

I'd rather not see the browser stuff at all. Can we not just get a decent filemanager first? If I wanted a web browser I'd install Mozilla. Oh, wait, I already did...

15.  Stability

Maybe others are having better luck than me, but I'd put this at the top
of the list. I can easily crash Nautilus every time by accidentally
double clicking a desktop icon when in "single click mode". Changing
themes is also a frequent crasher. And I barely use it yet (more of a
CLI person myself)

Yup. Nautilus sometimes feels a bit like a game of Jenga, you know?

17.  Automount floppies

Isn't this more of a autofs, amd feature rather than Nautilus?

As long as it's turn-offable I don't care. Automounting things is bad news as far as I'm concerned, but that's probably a reflection of the way I like to use my system.

I'd also like to see some more notice being taken of compiles from source... all this Red Hat-centric stuff is easy for you guys at Eazel, I know, but it drives me nuts! Not even Nautilus would persuade me to give up my beloved Slackware (he says, although currently using the worst operating system known to man and woman - Windows Me).

--
Matthew Walton

matthew alledora co uk