Re: [Nautilus-list] Canceling a drag.

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:53:34 "Blad, John Erling" wrote:
> You drag until you reaches the edge. What idea have a user about this..
> Most users havn't the clue about what a window is. They only see the frame
> around it. Placing something partly off the desktop isn't very wise so
> what should happen if a user drags someting out to the edge and drops it.

Won't work with a lot of WM. Dragging to the edje will just change workspace.

> Invisible windows at the edge of the screen don't "cost" very much and could
> still be a valid drop zone.

That's an awfully bad idea. You want a drop zone, you make a
drop zone the user can view (btw with a shelf you could just
drag into it and it would be a copy, not a move so you could
just delete what was dragged into the shelf afterwards). And
you add some kind of visual hint the drag was cancelled.

I hope Nautilus won't go into the business of invisible
windows. Having a root window is bad enough, if apps start
using invisible windows and stacking them all aver the
screen how the hell will the user understand what's going on.

--
Nicolas