Re: [Nautilus-list] Canceling a drag.

Quoting Dylan Beattie (dylan zepler org):
> > > You can drag with the right mouse button, so you couldn't use that for
> > > cancelling all drags.
> >
> > Ouch! True. How about "the other button"?
> >
> > I really would like to see this done with the mouse, I sometimes press
> > the right button (I usually do not drag with it) and then begin to
> > wonder how was the canceling done and then begin to search for my
> > keyboard and press the esc.
>
> Forgive me if this has been proposed and rejected, but what's wrong with the
> Windows approach where if you drop the files back into their original source
> directory (ie. effectively moving them back to where they started) the drag
> has no effect?

If automatic layout of a folder is on then there will be a popup
asking if it should be changed to manual layout. If a manual layout is
selected then it will mess the icons up.

> I think the whole idea of cancelling a drag in progress using
> a mouse button or keystroke has too much potential for inadvertant
> side-effects... especially on x86 boxes where the third button is emulated
> using buttons 1 and 2 pressed together.

This is a valid point, but I think it could be handled.

Of course we could skip the cancelling and make changes to the
functionality of what happens as files are dragged back to the same
window. Make the icons to snap to a predefined amount of pixels and
(when that is not on) a command to make the snap explicitely. The
popup is still a problem but there might already be an option to turn
it off.

Greetings,
Jussi

--
Jussi Hagman                                CS in Åbo Akademi University
Studentbyn 4 D 33                           juhagman abo fi