[Nautilus-list] Nautilus + Evolution + Gnome 1.4 -> bad combination

I'm having a lot of trouble with Nautilus 1.0, Gnome 1.4, and Evolution
CVS.  Gnome 1.4 has a bunch of problems of its own (like sound not
working for events (although it does work from Nautilus), apps sometimes
not starting from the panel, and apps starting but not displaying in
anywhere).  But Nautilus is giving me strange problems I haven't seen
before.  By the way, I'm using GConf 1.0, bonobo 1.0, etc.--all released
packages except for those required to build Evolution.

If I start Nautilus first, then start Evolution, things are fine.  But
if I start Evolution first, then try to start Nautilus in a shell, it
just sits there and does nothing.  No messages, no dialogs, nothing.  If
I ^C, do a nautilus-clean.sh (no stale processes found), then try to
start Nautilus again, I get nothing.  If I do an oaf-slay, then try to
launch Nautilus, I get a GConf error dialog about not being able to
store a key (not sure the exact message, and I'm not going to try it now
since I'm typing this from Evolution), followed by a few hundred of
these messages in the shell, then a segfault.

Anybody have any ideas?  Is anyone at Eazel using Evolution too?  These
two clearly don't want to coexist peacefully.  If anyone has any input
into the Gnome 1.4 problems as well, I'd appreciate it.  I'm about ready
to submit a bunch of bug reports on it.

Dan