Re: [Nautilus-list] Results of MIT usability testing

tom georgoulias wrote:

tom georgoulias wrote:

"Christopher D. Beland" wrote:

Actually, they did, or at least one person did, but the Duplicate
command was not active, greyed out.

It wasn't an AFS-related bug.  It was because the users had already
opened the files in "View as Text" mode.  In PR3, in this mode, the
Duplicate option on the File menu is not greyed out; it just doesn't
exist at all.

My personal recommendation would be that a double-click launches an
external editor, or optionally a dialog that asks the user what app
they want to use to edit or view the file.

I fully agree with this.  Even after using Nautilus all day, every day
for a month, I still find myself double clicking on files to open them
up and work on the contents.  It's a hard habit to break.

Actually, I just found out you *can* do this by changing the default
application in the file handler.  I'm a little ashamed for writing my
statement above before fully investigating, but I don't know how long
this feature has been active so it may have just been added or
implemented.

Well, a lot of usability for the majority of users
has to do with defaults that give them familiar
GUI behavior.  I think all such options should default
to Windoze-like behavior and then geeks can tweak those
settings to their heart's content.

	Miles