[Nautilus-list] "Folder" vs. "Directory" terminology

Nautilus uses "folder" everywhere in its user interface. While "folder"
is not uncommon in GNOME, many other applications use "directory".

I'm wondering if Eazel did some user testing to support this terminology
decision? What where the motives behind, except it being used in MacOS
and Windows?
The reason I'm asking is that I personally want a more consistent
terminology used in GNOME applications, so it would be nice to know the
results of user testing on terminology alternatives like those above.

Thanks!
Christian