Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus Goals

	My intentions were never to insult or cause flaim wars. I only
wish for constructive converstations. I'll retouch on a few issues.

A.) Mozilla
	I was aware of mozilla's superior rendering abilities but are
those needed for the cose in speed? To answer this question, we must ask
if Nautilus is meant to browse the web. I personally think it shouldn't go
beyond local html files. However, embedding mozilla/galeon for some url
link would be useful I suppose or should it just open a new galeon/mozilla
window?

B.)Gtk/Qt
	I never suggest or implied the use of Qt. I was merely wondering
what speed differences there were. I've not done benchmarks but apps done
in Qt seem to render faster than gtk apps. Obviously, nautilus needs to
stick to gtk but my main goal was to see what speed differences gtk 2.x
will make on nautilus. I assume text wigets in gtk 2.x will help out a
lot.

C.)Nautilus use
	Nautilus as of now is not useful to me cause it's way too slow to
be productive and it can't manage files very well beyond simple tasks and
dnd purposes (ex. dnd to xmms).  If Nautilus is going to do media samples
at all, it would be nice to see it migrate to using gstreamer for media
playback. It would be kind of cool to click on a mpeg, have it render
inside the nautilus window with gstreamer as the decoder via it's plugins,
and be able to right click the video to fullscreen, etc....

D.)Menus
	My main concern (other than speed) with nautilus is the menu
organization. As of now, it's just too clutered with useless stuff. This
doesn't mean you have to take out the other things but there should be
different user levels for Nautilus. On a day to day basis, I don't really
care to see 100 options packed into menus upon submenus. I just want to
find the important feature fast and use it. I'm not wanting to go on a
treasure hunt.  As I stated before, I think that there should be icons for
the local network and disks visible at all times on the nautilus
window. It should be clear at all times how to navigate between them
all. There should also be two icons for each. One for mounted/loaded and
another for unmounted/not loaded.  The other thing is that there should be
a pull down menu or three check boxes on the front that allow for
differnt graphic modes: A.) Low B.) Medium C.) High. The user can always
go in the advanced menus to customize the graphic modes more carefully but
the average daily user just wants a quick solution that is obvious. The
nautilus window should only contain the following:

1.)	Back, forward, refresh, home, up, etc...... (take out websearch)
2.)	Location
3.)	Zoom
4.)	View as
5.)	Tree
6.)	disk and network icons (either aligned vertically on the right or
horizontally next to #1.
7.)	Graphic mode (inbetween location and zoom)
8.)	System/User/Services icon on same row of #1 and #6. Should use
components to do Gnome Control Center and Ximian Setup Tools. When clicked
on, the display frame should show icons for ximian setup items like "setup
Boot", "Setup Disks", "Setup Users", "Setup Networking", etc..... from
which the user can click on and have open within the nautilus window.
I've been messing with the ximian setup tools lately and they are quite
nice. I look forward the their future development and I'll probably begin
to help with them soon. I suggest others help with it and take these tools
seriously. They are very nice indeed.

Anyway, that about wraps up my comments from the physics corner. Any
comments?