[Nautilus-list] Darin doesn't work effectively with Yoann?

On Sunday, June 17, 2001, at 03:28  AM, Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:

Let's take the last one, that was also sent to the list,
about the re-layout being done even before any file is drawn.

This is causing latency on directory load.

I pointed you to the cause of the problem :
The hook to the files_changed signal in fm-directory-view.c that
isn't disconnected at the good time.

I think this is specific enough... no ?

Not really specific enough. You've pointed at a problem area, but not any correct way of improving performance. I need to consider deeply to figure out how to change things so they still work but fix this problem area.

So I don't know what kind of response you're expecting. Yes, this is a problem area. What is your specific question again? Is your patch OK? No, it's not. I answered that in detail.

and you complain when I don't answer
fast enough or you don't like the tone of my responses. Other
contributors work with me in ways that are easier on me, and which
take less of my time and effort to deal with.

But I'll try to answer the ones that I can figure out when I have the time.

Darin, this answer is easy, and I think that some of your arguments are
out of context. I asked you several time if something was wrong with me
because I wasn't getting any answer from you, to questions that date from
a long long time.

If the answer is "easy" then why am I the only one on the list who can answer it? This is not a one-man project, and I'd like you to figure out how to work with other contributors rather than complaining that I don't work with you fast enough.

Working on Nautilus performance problem is not something easy, and the
only thing that you do when not at least acknowleding my question is
like saying "I don't care him contributing".

No, you ask for a lot more than that. You ask for quick answers to your questions, and you also ask for respect and credit even when your changes are incorrect and I have to redo them (and you get angry that I don't work with you so that you can correct them), and you also ask for the "proper attitude".

I've spent several night trying to audit Nautilus on the performance/
latency problem. This is not easy, Nautilus isn't simple.

And this is kind of offending when you work for several hour on something,
that you send a mail to the maintainer asking patch review, or how to avoid
X thing to happen or whatever question about a problem and never get any
answer...

You questions are relentless and extremely demanding. If I answered them all I would have no time to do anything else. So I really don't mind offending you a bit. If you had fewer questions and followed fewer false trails, I would probably be more enthusiastic about working with you more. But you tend to send out patches that effective turn off big pieces of the code that you don't understand and say "Is this OK?"

But if you never say me anything, then I'm losting my time.

I have written more messages to you than to anyone else in my last month, according to my sent messages. 54 messages since May 14. "Never say me anything?" Not by a long shot.

    -- Darin