Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: 1.0.4 release

Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:

> > > All are useful. But not all are the most requested.
> >
> > People also request security, but judging from the perpetual stream of
> > security notices, it doesn't seem as if that request is ever met.
> >
> > I don't think it's fair to blame the hackers for not accomplishing
> > something that is a process, and not a goal. They have been working hard
> > on performance improvement, and that's the best you can possibly ask
> > without an already agreed-upon, measurable and realistic performance goal
> > for 1.0.4.
>
> I think you didn't get it.
> I never blamed anyone, I just think performance should be taken
> a little more into account.

I think performerance is important aswell, but I don't think it is fair
to ask for a release to be delayed just because of it. Better with
multiple releases; performerance is important, but it isn't everything.
For example, the Swedish translation in Nautilus 1.0.3/Eel 1.0 had some
problems, and of course I'd like to see newer releases with improved
translations replace it soon. Add this and a hundred of other small
fixes that have been done in cvs, and delaying a release because of some
obscure performerance problem that has been there all the time (and with
no patch) seems silly.
I fully understand Darin's view on this. If you want some performerance
problem fixed, the best way to fix it is to send a patch to the list,
and hopefully it can be included in the next release after this, after
review and testing. AFAIK, this has always been the standard procedure
with patches in Nautilus. With many releases, it shouldn't take that
long before the next release with the patch included.

> BTW: I'm not an user, and I'm working on the performance thing.
>      I'm just getting tired of having the impression to be alone.

I think that impression does not represent reality. I think most
Nautilus hackers are concerned with performerance, and many discussions
on nautilus-list have also been performerance-related. Also not only
long-time Nautilus hackers, but also people like Alex Larsson, are
looking into performerance, and have sent patches. I don't think it's
fair to completely ignore all those contributions.

Christian