[Nautilus-list] Mime type handling in gnome

Hi,

I'd like to know how Nautilus handles mime type, as it seems that there are
currently 2 mime database on my system. One that is used by Nautilus and
that I can configure with the control-center applet, and one that is used
by older apps like GMC or PAN. In an attempt to fix this I emailed the
author of PAN that answered he was using the standard gnome library
(specifically: gnome_mime_type and gnome_mime_program) to open binary
attachments. Is there a new way to do this ?

Thanks to cc: your response to me as I am not on this list. And thanks for
Nautilus by the way  =)

seb