Re: [Nautilus-list] Oh no, more feature requests!!

On 25 Jul 2001 17:49:45 -0300, Juliano Soares dos Santos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First let me thank everyone who had contributed to Nautilus. You did a great
> job!!!
>
> A lot of people had requested features lately, and I have to give mines too
> :-)
> Here we go:
>
> 1) Tree sidebar reorganization
> Take a look at: http://www.eps.ufsc.br/~juliano/nautilus/tree.png
> Right now, the sidebar shows the tree as it is. That is, it shows the root
> (/), when expanded shows home, usr, tmp, and so on.
> My suggestion is to mask things a little, making navigation easier. In the
> base of the tree is better to have the user home, the machine (/), and
> removable medias (when mounted). Maybe we can put here the magic desktop
> URIs from RedHat Labs too.
> I think Windows, KDE, Mac work like that.

I like it for usability, but it breaks the filesystem up in an
inconsistant way. There may be a better way of doing this or putting it
in a tab other than the tree tab.

> 2) When dnd an image with right button into another icon, show an option to
> set this image as the icon
> Take a look at: http://www.eps.ufsc.br/~juliano/nautilus/setasicon.png
> Just to speed up things (I change icons a lot).

I agree. EFM had all settings come from middle-drags and it worked
great.

> 3) Change zoom widget on the toolbar
> Take a look at: http://www.eps.ufsc.br/~juliano/nautilus/zoom.png
> Again this is just to make navigation faster. For example, I'm in the
> default view (100%) and I want to zoom to 400%. I need to pass to 150%, then
> to 200% and finally to 400%. With the widget change I can pass directly from
> 100 to 400%.

Tried right clicking on it? (Though I agree that a standard widget would
be good.)

> In my opinion the accelerators keys need to change too (from alt+-/alt+= to
> -/=).

Then you'd have a conflict between hitting - or = to jump to files that
contain them.

> 4) Replace mozilla-component with gtkhtml-component
> Please, I don't want to start some kind of war. I admire all those who
> contributed to mozilla component, but right now galeon and mozilla are much
> better browsers than nautilus. The main use of the html component is display
> help, and mozilla just don't integrate very well with the desktop. You can
> see that at the screenshot:
> http://www.eps.ufsc.br/~juliano/nautilus/html-comp.png
> I've been using the cvs component and it work very well. From my point of
> view it is ready for primetime.

Having it as an option would be good but what's really lacking with
Nautilus' web functionality is functionality. If it could do all that
Galeon could it'd be a much more usable web browser.

--Ben