[Nautilus-list] Re: implementing a snap-to-grid for desktop...

darin bentspoon com (2001-07-25 at 1155.14 -0700):
> > First of all, is there technical reasoning behind disallowing any of the
> > standard icon sorting methods available to the standard directory view
> > on the desktop such as "sort by date", "reverse order", etc.?
> There's at least one reason. With a fixed size window, if you lay out in
> some sorted order, some icons can end up off screen. Once they are off
> screen, there's no reliable way to get them back. In some cases, you would
> never be able to get the icons back.

Clean up by name will not make off screen icons come back? In that
case I will take note if I have to change monitor again, I do not want
a change of res make me lose icons (move with mouse before instead of
edit the XML after).

Also, if you have many icons... what is the different between one
order or another? If you have to many to fit, you have too many. Is
there some trick to avoid "overflow" in the current code that the
order methods will be unable to use?

GSR