Re: [Nautilus-list] Using drag and drop to copy files in Nautilus?

Benjamin Kahn <xkahn ximian com> writes:

> I'm writing a small panel applet which allows you to browse your home
> directory as a panel menu.
>
> <plug> it's in gnome cvs in module file_menu_applet if you want to check
> it out.</plug>
>
> Anyway, I've been hooking up drag and drop and it's working okay. Except
> in Nautilus. I'm trying to make Nautilus copy or move the file, but it
> isn't working. I'm using text/uri-list as my mime type and Nautilus treats
> that as a URL link. Reading through the nautilus drag and drop source
> code, it looks like that's all it will ever do with that mime type.  (I
> tested it with the panel and with gmc just to be sure.)
>
> So does this mean that I have to use Nautilus's internal mime
> type: x-special/gnome-icon-list to perform a move and copy?  Is there any
> other way to do it?  What risks should I look out for if I use a type is
> seems obviously internal?

Surprisingly enough, I just ran into this bug yesterday, and tried to
fix it a bit (in the redhat-outstanding-patches branch).  It seems like
the handling of text/uri-list is sort of poor.  I'd like this to be
improved at some point -- maybe I'll have time today.  If you want to
look at it, I can tell you where the code is handled.

Thanks,
-Jonathan