[Nautilus-list] Re: moving to GNOME bugzilla (was Potential Nautilus categories for GNOME bugzilla)

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Darin Adler wrote:

> On Monday, July 23, 2001, at 10:19  PM, Jon Allen wrote:
>
> > Here's a list of potential Nautilus-related products/categories
> > for bugzilla.gnome.org.  I've left out some Eazel-related
> > components (services, etc.) but the majority of
> > bugzilla.eazel.com components are in this list.  I'm not
> > sure what to do about bugs whose categories will be orphaned
> > in this process - maybe a catchall category for these?
> > I don't know.
>
> Just a quick note about porting to GNOME bugzilla. At the time we move
> bugs, it's easiest if the products, components, and versions match in both
> bugzillas. So we can do this reorganization in bugzilla.eazel.com before
> we move to bugzilla.gnome.org, or we can do it in bugzilla.gnome.org after
> we move.

I'd like to do the reoganization in bugzilla.eazel.com before
the move.  That way we can simply create matching products
and components in bugzilla.gnome.org at that time.

> I don't think it's a good idea to do it at the time we move the bugs,
> since it will just increase the complexity of the process of moving the
> bugs.
>
> On a related note, I have gotten the XML exporting to work on
> bugzilla.eazel.com, so there are just a few more biggish steps needed to
> get the bugs moved over:
>
>      1) get the products, components, and versions matching in the two
> bugzillas (requires at least creating some on bugzilla.gnome.org, and
> perhaps some reorganization on the bugzilla.eazel.com side)

I'll help on the b.e.c side if we can agree on producs/components/
versions.  Although I can't be sure, I think Greg Leblanc has the
powers to help on the bugzilla.gnome.org side and will offer
assistance when we're ready.

>      2) get a range of bug IDs and attachment IDs reserved on
> bugzilla.gnome.org so we can map bugzilla.eazel.com IDs to bugzilla.gnome.
> org IDs in some nice way (and make sure this is technically possible -- I'
> ve recently begun to doubt whether it is)
>      3) figure out our own file format for moving the attachments, since
> the standard bugzilla XML does not deal with moving attachments, or decide
> that we don't need to move attachments.

If, by not moving attachments, we can stick to standard bugzilla
XML I'd rather do that - it will make things easier for us.

>      4) test the importing process somehow before doing it
>      5) do the import
>      6) clean up whatever went wrong
>
> And a few smallish ones:
>
>      1) set up a mapping table to make sure old email addresses get mapped
> to the appropriate ones on bugzilla.gnome.org -- for the most part, this
> is taken care of, but there's a problem with email addresses of category
> owners on bugzilla.eazel.com (they have some old email addresses in them)
>      2) figure out what we'll do for owners of categories on bugzilla.gnome.
> org -- perhaps we should use a mailing list like the gtk-bugs one for most
> bugs instead of using individuals

I can help with this part.  I think contributing category
owners' addresses should be updated - mail for bugs filed
against their categories should go directly to them.
All other category owners' mail should be sent to a mailing
list such as nautilus-bugs gnome org