[Nautilus-list] Re: [GNOME VFS] Re: magic desktop URIs

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:19:42PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > >       preferences:  /usr/share/control-center

The control-center already depends on gnome-vfs, why not put this scheme
into the control-center.

> > >       programs:     /etc/X11/applnk + /usr/share/gnome/apps

I think theres logic in gnome-core/panel/(menu|distribution).c for handling
the different distro menus too that should possibly be integrated.

> > >       sysconfig:    /etc/X11/sysconfig
> > >       serverconfig: /etc/X11/serverconfig
> > >       starthere:    /etc/X11/starthere

These aren't on my Debian system. Are they RedHat specific or are they going
to be installed by GNOME packages? If they're RH specific then I would don't
mind them going into gnome-vfs so long as they're optional at compile-time.
If they're going to be part of GNOME then perhaps they should be installed by
the GNOME modules that actually install files there?

> > >       favorites:    ~/.gnome/apps

Sounds great.

Am I the only person who hates the word "Favourites" to mean bookmarks?

> AFAIK the two suggestions are to leave them as above, or to add a
> "gnome-" prefix, e.g. gnome-preferences:. Another option would be
> something like gnome:///preferences, gnome:///programs, etc.

I feel that adding a gnome prefix makes them less useful, but I'm still wary
of polluting the URI namespace... Oh what the hell... ;-)

Ian