[Nautilus-list] Re: magic desktop URIs

Hi,

We are approaching a deadline, and would really like to get these URI
schemes the same as upstream (if upstream will use them), to avoid
hosing users who create links on their desktop or the like.  It's OK
if Nautilus/VFS don't want to have some of the schemes (it's easy to
maintain an optional add-on VFS module), just want to avoid having the
same scheme with two different names depending on distribution.

As a refresher, the proposed schemes are:

> >       preferences:  /usr/share/control-center
> >       programs:     /etc/X11/applnk + /usr/share/gnome/apps
> >       sysconfig:    /etc/X11/sysconfig
> >       serverconfig: /etc/X11/serverconfig
> >       favorites:    ~/.gnome/apps
> >       starthere:    /etc/X11/starthere
>
> Are there issues with taking up so many URI schemes? What URI schemes
> do we own, and which ones need to be saved for uses that come from the
> W3C or elsewhere?

AFAIK the two suggestions are to leave them as above, or to add a
"gnome-" prefix, e.g. gnome-preferences:. Another option would be
something like gnome:///preferences, gnome:///programs, etc.

Asking around the cubicles here, people felt that w3c would never have
a scheme named any of this stuff, and that preferences: was a lot
nicer from a user standpoint than gnome-preferences:. i.e. the
sentiment is that convenience trumps strict correctness, and we should
follow the lead of schemes such as trash: and gconf:.

Does anyone strongly disagree with that, or strongly dislike one of
the specific names?

Havoc