Re: [Nautilus-list] Cute bug.

On Wed, 2001-07-18 at 09:41:03, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > Only problem is that /someday/ somebody will have a legitimate
> > reason for 50 levels of symlinks.  I know, it sounds silly, but so
> > did > 640k of memory at one time not that long ago . . .  .
>
> I believe the kernel or libc or something actually hardcodes a limit
> as well. We could find out that limit and use it, so we wouldn't be
> adding any extra limit.

Yes, it's hardcoded in the Linux kernel:

static inline int do_follow_link(struct dentry *dentry, struct nameidata *nd)
{
	int err;
	if (current->link_count >= 8)
		goto loop;
	current->link_count++;
	UPDATE_ATIME(dentry->d_inode);
	err = dentry->d_inode->i_op->follow_link(dentry, nd);
	current->link_count--;
	return err;
loop:
	path_release(nd);