[Nautilus-list] mounting hard drives

Hi.  I'm using nautilus 1.0.4, and yesterday, I had an odd experience.
I was using gnome-terminal to do some maintainance on my windows
partition (in su mode) and when I was done and remounted the drive, it
showed up on my desktop.  Now I can't get rid of it without unmounting
it, and I'm not sure what to do.  It's kind of annoying.  I really don't
think that non-removable media should be mounted on the desktop, and I
think that there should be a way of removing media from the desktop
without unmounting it.  Does anybody have any thoughts on how to get rid
of it, or how to keep hard drives off the desktop?

Thanks a lot.

Adam.