Re: [Nautilus-list] open with->The Gimp context menu bug?

On Tuesday, July 10, 2001, at 06:15  PM, Rich Rudnick wrote:

When trying to open an image with gimp from the context menu, gimp responds
with 'can't open "file:///home/rich/image.jpg" ', or
'file:///home/rich/image.png is not present or is unreadable', but gimp will
open the image from the command line and gimp's file open menu.   Eye of
Gnome will open the same files from the context menu.

I'm not sure if this is really a bug or my newbie misconfiguration.

This is a real bug. It's a problem in the gnome-vfs application database.

The gnome-vfs.applications file contains information about how to deal with various programs. A while back, we changed the entry for the Gimp to indicate that it can handle http URLs. At the same time, though, we changed expects_uris to "true". Since the Gimp can't handle file URLs, but can handle http URLs, then it expects_uris should be set to "non-file".

This is wrong in the gnome-vfs 1.0.1 release and fixed in HEAD of gnome-vfs, but it's not clear when there will be a gnome-vfs 1.0.2 release, because there are other untested changes in HEAD that might not be ready for release.

A workaround is to correct this in your local copy of gnome-
vfs.applications.

    -- Darin