Re: [Nautilus-list] nautilus on freebsd - questions on nautilus_application_startup

On Wednesday, July 11, 2001, at 09:41  AM, Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Hey happy hackers!

Sorry my response took so long. I had (and still do have) a big backlog of Nautilus mail messages

I'm trying (one more time...) to get nautilus running on freebsd. as
usual, n. hangs on startup.  it calls nautilus_application_startup()
and seems to give up in line 544 or so of nautilus-application.c in:

			if (!CORBA_Object_is_nil (shell, &ev)) {
				break;
				}

i guess nautilus isn't supposed to hit the "break" here, is it? on
freebsd, it does, and crashes (why?!?!).

It is supposed to hit the break here. The shell object is an object within Nautilus itself, and should not be nil. Since it's not nil, we do hit the break.

I guess the key here is that it crashes. I don't think you've yet tracked down where it crashes. All the "break" statement should do is transfer control outside the loop to the if (kill_shell) down around line 577 of nautilus-application.c.

nautilus seems to succesfully launch the throbber subprocesses (via oaf
i think), but for some reason the

			shell = oaf_activate_from_id (SHELL_IID, 0,
NULL, NULL);

seems to fail. i guess thats why it breaks;.

Exactly what do you mean by "seems to fail"? It's supposed to return something non-nil, and then break. That's proper operation. Returning nil would be a bug.

    -- Darin