Re: [Nautilus-list] select all, unselect all and invert selection patch

Ben Ford wrote:

> Darin Adler wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, June 14, 2001, at 01:17  PM, Benedikt Roth wrote:
> >
> > the attached patch improves the behaviour of the 'Select All' menu
> > item and adds two new menu items to the 'Edit' menu: 'Unselect All'
> > and 'Invert Selection'.
> >

> > I personally think that Unselect All is not a very good addition.
> > And I think that Invert Selection is a pretty strange feature.
>
> It's actually a very useful feature.  Say you have a directory of 300
> files and you want to keep 5 of them.  Select those 5 and hit 'Invert
> Selection'.  Now all but those 5 are selected for further
> manipulations.

[Finally, a message I can reply to!]  :)

    I have to vote for the "Invert selection" deal, too; there have been
many times on 'the other leading brand' where I've had a mass of files
with a small minority that I needed to keep and the rest I wanted to
move.  In fact I've needed it twice this week!

    It's a good thing; not something I use at every boot, but a powerful
and helpful tool.  Though I'll admit, it makes the package look more
'Microsoft', it's still quite useful.

    I'd also like to see the last option in the File pulldown to have
the "Close Window/Close all windows" because looking in the middle for
something that's so final seems awkward; I don't like to hunt for a "get
the heck out" button...

    Just some thoughts.

Brian Fahrlander                             Linux Zealot, Conservative,
Chicago, IL                                       and Stranded Technomad
ICQ 5119262                       http://www.kamakiriad.com/aboutme.html
                          Live free or die.