Re: [GNOME VFS] Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: magic desktop URIs

On 10Jul2001 09:27PM (-0400), Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:

> > > Right, I wanted to do that but it breaks the ABI. So, GNOME 2 material.
> > >

> > Why would adding monitoring support need to break backwards
> > compatibility? (The module ABI is versioned, so that would not be a
> > problem).
> >

> So I can add entries to the module vtable?

Yes. And when you call those module functions from the library, you
can check if that module supports the gicen entry point.

> That would be a nicer solution, I think.
>
> It's somewhat questionable to add new library entry points though, I think.

Well, the whole reason for the module versioning is to be able to do
this. This is work that would be really useful for GNOME 2 so doing it
for GNOME 1.x would be a great step forward.

One reason adding adding a monitoring API to gnome-vfs is important is
that it's kind of a prerequisite to moving metadata into gnome-vfs
instead of Nautilus, which required to be able to have gnome-vfs
always give the same icons for files as Nautilus (among other things),
which you need to do a good GNOME file selector and have file icons in
the panel, evolution, etc etc be consistent with Nautilus.

So it's the start of a long interdependent chain of events that could
end up in at least one nice end-user feature.

Regards,

Maciej