Re: [Nautilus-list] Some Bugs and Concerns

Christopher D. Felton wrote:

*** snip ***

-- Toolbar - text in the buttons should be optional for intermiedate and
advanced users.  To much screen real estate is being used up for power
users.

AMEN! This is my single _biggest_ complaint with GNOME/GTK+ apps. And quite frankly, annoys the you-know-what out of me. They go CRAZY with the toolbar size.

I have a Linux system on a latop with Gnome that I use infrequently. Unfortunately, many apps have _absolutely no way_ to toggle toolbars on and off, and these are some of better apps for GNOME. Evolution, Gnumeric, et. all, are some of the worst offenders. The problem is, these apps have gargantuan tool bars, sometimes stacked 3 and 4 high, and cosume 1/3 of my screen real-estate on my poor laptop making said application absolutely _unsuable_. Worse, there's no way to toggle the toolbars off, just detach them. And the apps that _do_ allow me to toggle the toolbars off don't remember the next time the app. is opened!

WHY DO I NEED FIVE INCHES WORTH OF TOOLBARS AT THE TOP OF MY PROGRAMS? And why is there so much wasted space above and below the icons in these toolbars? Does everyone have 2048x1024 monitor?

The way I fixed this was to just go into the source and remove the toolbar all together, but this really stinks and constitues a serious usability problem.

This isn't directed at Nautilus necessarily, with which I am able to use the toolbars as expected. However, great apps. such as Gnumeric are Abiword are ruined by this problem.

BTW: AbiWord will remember your toolbar settings if it's _not_ compiled with GNOME integration. Why do GNOME apps. act like this? Can anyone comment?

Sorry if this sounds like a rant (which it is :) ), but this is the single-most annoying issue I have with Gnome.

Also Advanced Users should have a check button for viewing
backup files, hidden files, etc... --> I hate going into preferences
everytime I need to see hidden files. It is such a waste of time for
something I like to use often.

-- Mounting removable media - this is not very well implemented yet.
When icons appear for mounted volumes it is random and sporatic often
covering other icons on my desktop.  Titles of CDROMs seem to get cut
off at the edge of the screen.  Also it is on the desktop underneath all
of my windows.  getting to the icons is a lot of work.  I would like
permanent icons on the desktop that have mounted and unmounted
symbols---> but that's just me.  Also what if the tasklist (I know this
is not your responsibility) had a button on its handle for automatically
minimizing all windows.  Kind of like a Windows98 "show desktop"
feature.

-- Shortcut arrows on icons - They are way out there in right field -
can they brought closer to the icons and made a little more visable.
Remember there are a lot of kids running gnome who like to have there
desktop gothic black  -- not me -- you can check my screenshot out at
http://gtk.themes.org on the front page by chrisfelton.  Evolution and
Nautilus running together  :>)  I have been waiting a long time for
that.

-- Memory Consumption - better, but still overwhelming my AMD K6-2
500Mhz w/ 96 MB RAM and 8 MB of that shared with video because I have an
embarrassing Compaq Presario.  Nautilus-notes, Nautilus-tree,
Nautilus-history all take up as much memory as some single gnome
applications.  I know you can shut them down, but who wants to take away
features.  Nautilus and Mozilla running together make running other
programs drag my system down -- I know beta software.  Linux users want
speed.  Also remember Linux Desktops are perfect for cheap internet
enabled-countertop computers of the future and also in the third world
where the home computer revolution is still needing to really start.
Nautilus should run these computers and highend Linux and Unix servers.

EAZEL SERVICES

In the future, I would like the Eazel team to think about adding these
features to the SMART SERVICES line.
Automatic installation of themes for gtk+, sawfish, and nautilus.  Also,
have an option like Mozilla to automatically use the theme.  Of course
themes would probably have to have something like *.gtheme, *.stheme,
and *.ntheme -- I guess.

Online Email - like hotmail many home users are used to having these
easy to set up, univerally available email accounts.  I would be great
to have an icon on the desktop or in toolbar to automatically go to the
account.  Great place to put ads for "Free Linux Desktop".

Remember I am running 7.0 so I haven't been able to enjoy your services
yet.  Software catalog shouldn't really have command line programs
visable to beginner and possibly intermediate users.

If you are going to sell storage space on your servers, but give 25MB
away free you need to find away to get people to use up that space --  I
dragged and dropped and mp3 to storage; however, I couldn't get a music
view to come up.  If there was a was to stream audio to Nautilus from
your transparent network people would realize the need for more space.

Can't wait for easy to use backup software.

Services should also be based on individual or business needs.  I don't
want to pay the same as a business.  I don't need apache, mod-php,
mod-perl that businesses depend on for quality builds.  There should be
different pricing and plans for different needs.

Also guys if discussion breaks out on GNotices - about some Cut, Copy,
Paste debate don't be afraid to chime in.  Just say, "Cut, Copy, Paste
is a bad method, we have something better planned for after 1.0." or
something to that effect.  There is a lot of people that don't pay
attention to the development list, who use GNOME and frequent GNotices
to see who is bashing us today.  So often it feels like only users are
talking and no developers.  I know you guys are very busy, but dropping
a line in every so often would be nice  :)

Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you for hearing what I had to say.
I really look forward to Nautilus, and I am really excited for Eazel and
all the success you have had already.  Keep up the good work.
Hopefully, I will be taking a C, C++ class this summer and will be able
to someday work with GNOME.  Of course that probably won't happen until
GNOME 3.0.

Sincerely,
Christopher D. Felton

 P.S.  Here is a question for some ex-Apples -- how long will Steve Jobs
let Microsoft roast in the anti-trust trial before he decides to
integrate Mozilla into OS X?  a) 6 months  b) 12 months c) two years