Re: [Nautilus-list] The screenshots made me think....

Le jeu, 01 fév 2001 11:17:13, Ali Abdin a écrit :
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
>
> > On 31 Jan 2001 01:35:03 -0800, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > > I once again challenge you to tell me what the hell "looks like GNOME"
> > > means.
> >
> > I dont want a flame war, I dont thing those kind of debates leed any
> > where.... so dont interpret my mails as flames, they are not ment to be
> > that. With this said I'll go and answer your question.
> >
> > With a gnome look I mean things like using gnome stockbuttons by
> > default, using system fonts by default and such things. A app that lets
> > gnome handle all that kind of stuff automaticly gets a gnome look.
>
> Sounds like 'ugly' to me.

Sounds like consistent. For people that took the time to
select a gnome theme and font they love, that's not ugly at
all. And as for the general state of gnome icons, one just
has had to have followed the evolution last year to see
tremendeous progress can be made system-wide without
breaking every gnome convention. Gnome icons are not set in
stone, if the default ones are so ugly, no one will complain
if you replace them with something else *gnome-wide*.

And why is consistency important ? Ergonomy. Take any small
course in publishing, you'll learn any given document should
never use more than three fonts because each time the brain
switch from a font to another it has to process the
information « gee, what's this thinguie, that's not the same
symbol as before, well it does look like a a, so we'll
consider it as a a even if it's not like the one we're used
to ». From this point of view nautilus is very bad, it uses
one font for the gtk widgets, another for its icons views,
and another one for the list views. So for the end user it's
a really *tiring* tool.

Of course, the smart user will end up specifying the same
fonts in every crazy font dialog Nautilus will provide. He
will just be *very* pissed off he has to do this, when the
default should be « use the system font whenever I do not
tell you to use something else ». And let eye-candy lovers
destroy their eyes and their brain selecting scores of
different fonts on their system.

Themability is good. Forcing the user to choose whether
specifying the same parameters again and again or having
something more alike to a flashy add leaflet than a usefull
book is bad.

--
Nicolas