Re: [Nautilus-list] A newbie's questions and sugestions.

<quote who="Mark Finlay">

> 1. to be able to right click a folder and click on "Browse from here"
> and have a new nautilus window open with that folder as the top level.

You can right click and hit "Open".

> 2. in the tree sidebar: to have a different icon for top level folders
> and second and third level. it is quite confusing when you have miles of
> subfolders and you don't know what level they are on.

Here's where the triangle-style treeview from the Mac is notsogood.

> 3. a winzip style "add to zip" and "extract to /[filename]" for zips.
> Is there an easy way to add extra commands to the right click menus or
> would i have to edit nautilus code?

You can add scripts to ~/Nautilus/scripts/ or ~/.gnome/nautilus-scripts/
depending on your version of Nautilus. They will pop up in the scripts menu.

> 4.to be able to right click a .iso and have the option to mount it or
> burn it.

You could do this with scripts. Mounting generally requires root, however
(especially in the case of loopback mounts).

> 5. anyone used XP yet. on know its M$ but it has a nice feature where
> you can use "Send to" to and any file to a special folder which you can
> then burn to a cd. I'd love to be able to add this functionality to
> nautilus. along with the ability to make an iso of the files.

Integration of Nautilus and mkisofs.

> the "Nautilus" folder in home, i think it would be better as a virtual
> folder like :trash. but as an idea  think it had a lot of potential and
> other software should be encouraged to make their own sub-folders.

It's been removed.

> I moved from windows to kde to gnome and i really miss the ability to
> right click the desktop and add a shortcut or launcher.

Random missing feature.

> Another great feature of xp is that when a folder contains photos the
> folder icons has 4 thumbnails to give you an idea of whats in there -
> this is particularly useful for those of us who have large archives of
> photos.

You can do this manually atm, sounds slightly too random and magical though.

> back to the questions: Will nautilus be the default will all versions of
> gnome 2? in particular on solaris.

Yes.

- Jeff

--
   She said she loved my mind, though by most accounts I had already lost
                                    it.