[Nautilus-list] build problem that Yoann and Chris reported

On Sunday, August 26, 2001, at 09:43  AM, Chris Heywood wrote:

nautilus-window.o: In function `nautilus_window_constructed':
/home/psych/compile/nautilus/src/nautilus-window.c:741: undefined
reference to `e_paned_get_type'

The above error means that when compiling in the src directory, the things in the cut-n-paste library are not getting linked in. The ways this is supposed to work is that the cut-n-paste library gets linked in with the libnautilus-private library by this code that's something like this in the libnautilus-private Makefile.am:

    dependency_static_libs = $(top_builddir)/cut-n-paste-
code/widgets/e-paned/libe-paned.la
    libnautilus_private_la_LDFLAGS = $(dependency_static_libs)

So something is going wrong here, and for some reason the contents of the static library libe-paned.la is not getting linked into the shared library libnautilus-private.la. I'm thinking that it might be good to look at these libraries in your build tree and see what symbols are in which.

One possible problem is that the cut-n-paste-code makefiles do seem to use the "-static" flag when it's not wanted. The libtool manual says that you should never use -static for libraries that you link into other libraries, which is exactly what we are doing here. So I'm experimenting to make sure that doesn't cause any problems in my configuration, and I'll check that in soon.

One thing to do is to check that the symbol is in various libraries that it should be in:

nm cut-n-paste-code/widgets/e-paned/.libs/libe-paned.al | grep e_paned_get_type
    nm libnautilus-private/.libs/libnautilus-
private/.libs/libnautilus-private.so | grep e_paned_get_type

(Your names may differ depending on the platform you're on, and due to the use of the "-static" flag.)

Both files should have a T entry that defines e_paned_get_type.

Please let me know what you find out.

    -- Darin