[Nautilus-list] Re: Installation-time performerance

Hi all,

this looks great. I'll refer to Kai's Photo Soap now. At the moment, GNOME has way too many options to choose from the panel. When you right click on the panel a bunch of items appear. When I was using GNOME for the first time I was quite shocked and left the context menu alone. The same thing applies to the current gnome-control center (yeah, I know, a new version is on the way). I'm glad we have a usability project now which faces those issues. I think it has been already discussed but we need to put all configurations of the panel into control center (options for the panel are spread, ATM, and this sucks!). Also, other options needs to be there. Have you guys recently looked at KDE's control center. I don't want to say that it is the most perfect piece of software in the universe, but compared to GNOME's it's quite cool. Just look at it... If I have some time left I'll create a ToDo/Issue/Whatever list for GNOME. I've noticed many bad things over the last few months which haven't been improved, yet.

Regards,
Christian Meyer

Havoc Pennington wrote:

Hi,

Coincidentally was re-reading Joel Spolsky's book and he has strong
words for wizards that ask questions unrelated to whatever the user is
up to:

 http://joel.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$61

Conclusion: we should ask about all the default desktop settings stuff
if we think the user is planning to configure their desktop on first
login - i.e. if desktop configuration is the task they have in
mind. After getting Ximian I'd believe they probably are planning on
that; so the wizard is good. After installing Red Hat, I really doubt
the desktop per se is the main reason they bought the OS, it's just a
means to run apps and tools. So it may well be totally valid for Red
Hat and Ximian (these are just two examples) to differ on whether
there's a doorman wizard - i.e. maybe we both made the right UI
decision for our users.

Of course that leaves the question, what the heck does upstream GNOME
do by default. ;-)

Random other thing Joel argues is that the Netscape/Nautilus/etc. way
of setting up the options dialog is not so good, he suggests a
notebook instead:

 http://joel.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$71

But then in the printed copy of his book (this point is not in the
above-linked online edition), he says that we'd have to redesign the
notebook widget in order to nicely support as many tabs as Nautilus
has in its list-on-the-side. He suggests how to do this in the book.

The printed copy of the book also presents a way to keep the Outlook
shortcut bar from sucking. His mockup looks like a pretty good idea.

Havoc