Re: [Nautilus-list] strange behavior on some files

Jens Ansorg <liste ja-web de> writes:

> hi,
>
> for quite a while now I see a strange behaviour of nautilus on a
> specific partition on my PC. Currently I use nautilus-1.0.4 from RawHide
>
> first: a few lines of my fstab
>
> LABEL=/1             /                    ext2    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot1         /boot                ext2    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hdc1            /home                ext2    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hdb10           /opt                 ext2    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hdb11           /root                ext2    defaults        1 2
> LABEL=STORAGE        /storage             ext2    defaults        1 2
>

> now the strange thing:
>
> when I view any directory under /storage in a nautilus window the items
> (files/directories) disappear when I click on one !!!!

I think this is a bug in xinetd that fam reveals. If you edit
/etc/xinetd.d/sgi_fam and change

	rpc_version  = 1-2
	rpc_version  = 2

The problem should go away. (The root cause of the problem is that
rpc_version = 1-2 only advertises version 1 of the fam protocol, and
version 1 of the fam protocol doesn't work in our configuration.)

I don't know why it should particularly affect /storage, however.

Regards,
                                        Owen