Re: [Nautilus-list] Thumbnailing bug

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Darin Adler wrote:

> On Friday, August 17, 2001, at 11:16  AM, Alex Larsson wrote:
>
> > I think the patch is correct, because with the patch the behaviour is:
> > 1) look for local thumbnail, if exists and uptodate, just return it.
> > 2) look for global thumbnail, if exists and uptodate, just return it.
> > 3) Look if we can create a local thumbnail.
> > 4) Else do a global one
> > 5) Create it.
>
> That sounds right, but what about all the other places where an is_local
> flag is passed into make_thumbnail_uri? Are you sure this is the only one
> that's incorrect?

No. Looking closer at them there seem to be a few more broken ones:

* nautilus_thumbnail_has_invalid_thumbnail() always believes
uri_is_local() which is broken. It should probably look for broken
thumbnails first in local, and then in global. (Although this might add
more blocking remote calls...)

* nautilus_update_thumbnail_file_renamed_one() also believes
uri_is_local(). It needs to try both local and global.

* nautilus_remove_thumbnail_for_file_one() too. Needs to remove both local
and global thumbnails.

> (side note):
>
> In general, some Nautilus code confuses three separate questions:
>
>      1) Would it be fast to do I/O to this URI, so I can do it sync.
> instead of going out of my way to do it async.?
>      2) Does this URI correspond to a file system path?
>      3) Is this URI a "local" on in the gnome-vfs sense.
>
> I would like to straighten these out and untangle them as much as possible.

I believe (like havoc) that this is a naming issue. Having well defined
(and different) names for these that is used consistantly would help a
lot.

I think this should be codified in gnome-vfs.
Something like:
1) gnome_vfs_uri_access_is_fast()
2) gnome_vfs_uri_is_filesystem_path() +
   gnome_vfs_uri_get_filesystem_path() [These have to be fast (no fs
   access) This would help a lot with stuff like the desktop uri schemes.
   I.e. I had to hack in support for monitoring of favourites: uris by
   hardcoding the favourites path.]
3) The gnome_vfs_get_uri_from_local_path() and
   gnome_vfs_get_local_path_from_uri() might be a bit badly named, since
   they essentially only handle file: uris.

/ Alex