Re: [Nautilus-list] Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

I think that's a bad idea -- refusing to choose is a bad choice. Will
you have a system-wide definition of "$HOME" and "$DESKTOP" for each
user, so that all tools that need a $DESKTOP will know what to do? Or
will it just be a further complication of what we have now -- that is,
no standard?

I'm actually in favor of "~" as desktop, with dotfiles hidden, and
folders selectively hidden at the user's bidding. If the file browser
wants to show you your ~, then in its window -- not the desktop
background -- it'll show everything. Because my $HOME is my desktop,
conceptually. It's where I go back to to get to "my stuff" in the shell
-- I often type "cd" with no argument to skip back to my home dir. And
in windows, I often hit the "Desktop" link to save files, which I'll
then file away later.

What's KDE doing about this? They use $HOME/Desktop, right? What's
MacOSX doing?

-M