Re: [Nautilus-list] Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 04:15:07PM -0400, elijah wright wrote:

> in general, if you're breaking backwards compat you're probably also
> breaking any possibility of a simple port to a system that doesn't
> precisely meet your expectations of what will be available.  in general,
> you're assuming a filesystem that looks like UFS/FFS or ext2.  i think
> this is a really silly thing to do.

Well, we use the GnomeVFS library to get a standard interface with a defined
set of semantics to a variety of filesystems, from local posix-like
filesystems to remote filesystems (like ftp and WebDAV) and virtual
filesystems (such as the gphoto one). If we wanted to run Nautilus on top of
some other kooky filesystem type all we would have to do is implement a new
GnomeVFS module, or more likely change the local file one to understand the
new semantics.

Ian