Re: [Nautilus-list] Directory change signals?

My email has been broken for a day, so I don't know if this has already been
brought up, but fam the user-space daemon can be combined with "imon" to do
exactly what you guys are talking about. Fam, buy itself, does not require
any kernel changed at all, and does, in fact, monitor the entire file system
(not just specifcally requested ones).  If kernel level support is not
implemented, it falls back to a polling mode, so that any *nix can run fam.
However, if you are running linux, you can install the imon patch that allows
any file-system changes to be reported directly to fam, and from there to
your program (nautilus, efm, whatever).  The reason I bring up efm
(Englitenment's file manager) is because that is exactly what they are using,
and it works great.  They have people on solaris, freebsd (that's be me!),
and of course linux, all of which can run it, and get the benefits of real-
time or very-close-to-real-time updates. As is mentioned below this, fam and
imon are available from sgi, and I would highly recommend talking to some sgi
and enlightenment folks regarding how it works and where they see the
development going. To sum up: fam doesn't *require* a kernel patch, though it
runs better with one, and as such it is defintely worth a close inspection.

Hope this helps,

d.a.bishop