Re: [Nautilus-list] Status...

Ben Ford <bford talontech com> writes:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>

> > > While I'm writing a mail, how about a button "Delete File" alongside
> > > "Move to Trash", so that I can really delete a file if I want, without
> > > having to empty the trash afterwards.
> >
> > I think we plan not to do that. Think of every time you've screwed
> > yourself with rm and be grateful for the extra step required to empty
> > the trash.
> >
> >  - Maciej
>
> How bout instead of a separate button, if you hold the 'Move to Trash'
> button down, it would drop down (much like the back button on Netscape) and
> reveal a 'delete File' button.

If you want to shoot yourself in the foot, `rm' is still
available. :-)

> Or at least make it an option.  We don't
> want to be another Microsoft and make all the decisions for the users.

Every option has a cost in code complexity and conceptual complexity
of the program to the user. It may be that this particular option
would be worthwhile, but it seems doubtful to me. It's already
possible to do a dangerous, unrevertable delete in other ways.

 - Maciej