Re: [Nautilus-list] Please add an XML namespace to Nautilus metadata serialization

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 10:25:05AM -0700, Darin Adler wrote:
> > Consider the fact that the XML (meta) language is being employed to
> > express a variety of datatype and format, and the fact that they
> > supposedly they are all using the same Mime-Type (or basically only for
> > a few of those language will actually get a mime type registered), the
> > namespace is used as a way to disambiguate the use of XML data.
> >
> > Is this a decent answer your question ?
>
> Decent, yes.
>
> I was aware of the issue of different vocabularies within a single document
> and knew that it didn't apply in our case. But I didn't consider this
> possibility of using an XML namespace as a way to determine the type of a
> particular XML file.

You can't use it to determing the type of a particular XML file, but you can
use it to determine what application is interested in particular data in
that file.

> I still don't understand 100%, since as I understand it, the namespace is
> not a property of the entire file.

Its not. However if you put xmlns="..." in your root element it assigns the
property to all the tags in the file.

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700