Re: [Nautilus-list] New Versioning Scheme

Sorry for being spacy here is the revised version that uses underbars
instead of periods in the cvs tag names.

Here is the proposal:

release number == major number . minor number (0.5)
version number == major number . minor number . patch level (1.2.3)
  or version number = release number . patch level (0.5.1)

The first release will not have a patch level indicator
example: 0.5 instead of 0.5.0

The branch will always be the name of the module_ReleaseNumber
(example: nautilus_0_5), unless it is HEAD.  (cvs does not
support hyphens or periods so I will use underbar)

The leading configure.in in cvs will contain the current_release.cvs,
no matter what branch it is on.  Version.cvs will always sort to be
higher than any released version.  Since .c is consider after .9.
( the reason for this is next release number are generally more
for marketing than for anything else, so the next release may
jump a major number, and you won't know until you get there)

Lets assume the following senario for these examples.  We have
released 0.2, and 0.3 the next release is 0.4, we have released
two bug fixes for 0.2 called 0.2.1 and 0.2.2, and work has begun
on a patch to 0.3

Version		Meaning
-------------	------------------
0.1		Release 0.1 and the name in configure.in
0.2		Release 0.2 and the name in configure.in
nautilus_0_2	branch name for 0.2, and where 0.2.x patch
		development is.
0.2.1		first bug release for the nautilus_0_2 branch
0.2.2.cvs	the name in configure.in for the next bug release
		on the nautilus_0_2 branch
0.3.cvs		the name in configure.in for development of
		0.4 on branch HEAD
0.3.0.cvs	the name in configure.in for the work that
		will become 0.3.1 on branch nautilus_0_3

         0.1    0.2           0.3        0.3.cvs
                 |             |    0.3.0.cvs
                 | nautilus_0_3 \------------->

                 \    0.2.1 0.2.2 0.2.2.cvs