Re: [Nautilus-list] New Versioning Scheme

> The leading configure.in in cvs will contain the current_release.cvs,
> no matter what branch it is on.  Version.cvs will always sort to be
> higher than any released version.  Since .c is consider after .9.
> ( the reason for this is next release number are generally more
> for marketing than for anything else, so the next release may
> jump a major number, and you won't know until you get there)

This part of the design is a tiny bit lacking. Here's the issue. Lets say we
make a change to a module that's now required by other modules. They need a
way to say that they require this new change. Say we are working on 0.3. The
cvs module is named "0.2.cvs" in the proposed scheme. What kind of check do
we expect people to put in their configure script? Do we want them to make
configure scripts that say that they require "0.2.cvs or newer"?

We need a way to bump the version number in cvs in some way when we make a
change that people may need to rely on. A way that will not disturb the
major release version numbers, but will be suitable for other modules to use
in version checks in their configure scripts.

    -- Darin