Re: [Nautilus-list] HTTP Libraries

Ian McKellar wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 02:20:37PM -0700, J Shane Culpepper wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
> > However, alot of the places that we use
> > ghttp will be doing http posts as well.  If gnome-vfs will never support posts
> > then we will never be able to use it for everything.
>
> Ahh - that makes sense.
>
> > Another concern right now is that gnome-vfs is not stable enough to base a
> > reliable service model on.
>
> Which bits of gnome-vfs have you had problems with. Till about a week ago FTP
> was really unreliable, but I fixed all the bugs I could find with it. For
> simple file transfers HTTP should be very reliable too.
>
> I understand more now why you're using ghttp for the services stuff. OTOH,
> for FTP fetching you might as well use gnome-vfs because I don't know if
> there are any other client libraries around.

Gnet has a nice and easy implementation of ftp.  Ftp was one of my concerns with
gnome-vfs.  If you fixed it thats great.  I'm still not sure if gnome-vfs has all
of the features we need to do ftp transparently.  I haven't really looked at the
ftp implementation in gnome-vfs yet so I can't say.  I think Eskil could shed some
light on the topic as he is the one investigating it right now.

-Shane